Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Oh Lord, My Heart! P.T.

It's not every day that you can write a whole article about a teaser. Most demos aren't worth the space you download them on. But, it is with great pleasure and much anxiety that I write this. Something new has come along. Something so revolutionary and new that it has warranted me writing an entire blog on it. I can not remember the last time that I felt so excited for a game as I have for this. 7780 Studios has released the world's first playable teaser. The demo is called P.T., a teaser for the new Silent Hill game.
My face after the news.
If you haven't figured it out by now, I am a huge Silent Hill fan. By far it is my favorite game series ever, so hearing about a new game in the series made me almost cry with excitement. I feverishly jumped onto my PS4 and found the teaser. The picture seemed a little bland to me. A tree stump in the middle of the forest? Really? Whatever, it's Silent Hill, so I'll play it regardless. You start out in a small room with nothing. You can't press any buttons, all you can do is zoom in, which means that if anything attacks me, all I can do is look at it closely while it kills me. I stepped out the door into a long hallway. Little did I know that I opened the door to my own doom.
Just wait. It gets better!
The teaser alone looks amazing. P.T. uses the Fox Engine, which makes it look as real as it possibly can. Strange sights and sounds illuminate the hall as I walk towards my destination. I found a radio blaring in a corner, spouting out what seemed like random gibberish about a murder with random numbers and information.  There are doors all throughout the hall, but I can't open them. All I can do is walk to the end of the hall to another closed door. Luckily, this one opens up to reveal…the room I started in? What the heck?
And now there's this thing to greet me.
Every time you loop back to the beginning room, the hallway gets more and more terrifying. From crying children, spooky messages on the walls and a crazy ghost lady randomly twitching in the hallway, P.T. keeps the scares and uneasy feelings close to the chest. On top of all that, P.T. is filled with references to previous Silent Hill games. Oh, there is something big I'm forgetting about the new Silent Hill: it's being made by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro.
This scared me so bad I couldn't  even think of a stupid caption.
If you don't know who Hideo Kojima is, you've probably still played his games. Kojima is responsible for arguably the best stealth-based espionage game series of all time; Metal Gear. It's been around since the NES and is still going today. Guillermo Del Toro of course is an acclaimed writer, producer and director, probably most known for Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth(and Blade 2, but we won't hold that against him). This guy has had his hands in everything; from producing kids movies to writing part of the Hobbit trilogy. He even produced The Orphanage, one of the most intense horror films I have seen in a while. So the teaming up of these two; one who knows video games and one who knows horror so well as these two…can you imagine what Silent Hills will be like?
"Excuse me, ma'am you have a boogey."
I'm not gonna lie to you guys. I almost had a panic attack playing this game. My palms got sweaty, I was running short of breath. I even got a tension headache. But, will all that being said, I am super excited for the next Silent Hill. We have two capable and awesome storytellers at the helm of it and I can only hope that they will bring their A-game. Let's just hope that we get "Pan's Labyrinth" Del Toro and not "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" Del Toro. If you are a fan of the horror genre, this is one you should get excited for.







No comments:

Post a Comment